Wharton ESG Integration Projects (WEIP)
Experiential education in Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) integration through real-world consulting projects with partner asset owners, asset managers, consultancies, and corporations.
While most of the learning is “on-the-job,” students will also receive basic training in ESG topics and be invited to seminars with industry experts to supplement their knowledge.
Here are some examples of the types of projects we expect Associates to work on:
- Help a private equity group analyze the materiality of racial equity in its underlying holdings
- Assist a hedge fund in quantifying the negative externalities of plastic pollution for one of its proposed investments
- Advise a pension plan in preparing its ESG disclosure framework given its holdings in the US, EU, and Asia
Student Associates will prepare reports or presentations of their findings and will present their final deliverable to Partner staff.
- Who is eligible to participate? What are the skills needed?
Wharton or Penn undergraduate and graduate students. We select students from all disciplines to form extraordinary consulting teams. Exceptional analytical and communication skills, together with a client orientation, are a prerequisite. Please see the application form for complete eligibility details.
- What are the application deadlines/submission instructions?
Applications will open August 30, 2022 and close September 18, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The process is expected to be competitive and will involve an online application, case study, and interviews. *Please note the deadline has been extended!
- How long is the program? What is the time commitment?
WEIP is a one-semester program with a time commitment of 8 hours per week. Students will work in teams and regularly interface with staff at partner asset owners, asset managers, consultancies, and corporates. Teams will be supervised by ESG Initiative staff with investment experience.